Monday, May 16, 2011

Hypnotism

I object to your presence in my head.
It’s nothing but a fool’s game
that you’ve taught me.
You secretly laughed
While I listened
Acted
Waited
Spoke
I learned to play along
Not as participant,
But as a piece itself.

Now you’ve caught me
Hanging on monkey bars
Higher from the ground
Than I’ve ever hung before.
I’m smarter than you know;
I long ago realized
The clouds wouldn’t catch me
If ever I am to fall
From this height.
I learned that,
When you had me jumping
In anticipation
For the next round.
I skimmed the sky
Not that long ago.
It hurt
When I grazed the roof.

Love is unconquerable
Words from a master
Of an ancient art
Cannot quell a hunch.
The knowing
And unknowing
Of all that is following distantly-
Yet embedded so closely-
Does not obey
The wants and wills of humans.
It’s allergic to this game,
And my body pays
For the mixture.

Love is a word
Like paper,
Only nobody has made it
Tear-able like the pulp of wood
Between two anguished hands.
There has yet to be a scientific breakthrough
That let’s love be engulfed in
The belly of a flame,
Not even a scavenger
Can pick at the remnants
Of love
Within the refuse of a soul.

Get out,
And leave be
My essence in its contemplation.
There is no cure,
And maybe even
No ailment.
That’s the beauty
Of shapeless things.
We never know,
Except what we imagine.

I believe
In the black
Shapeless form
Of unrequited,
But it isn’t solid.
I walk ahead.
As I pass
Through the shimmer
That isn’t quite
Color
But isn’t empty either,
I see the silhouette
Of a man
And his burnished gold chain
Fade.
Slowly
the amulet stops
its swinging.

1 comment:

  1. if I may play the part of the extrapolator of ideas, you write here with unadulterated confidence, which is how so much of you gets out so well. Anyway you wield abstracts like time bombs that go off at the exact right times... or maybe more like Jack-in-the-boxes :] rock on!

    ReplyDelete